The aim of the module is to explore the relationship between theological understandings of suicide, mental health and pastoral support.
- Identify and consider their church’s theological understanding and approach to suicide, mental health and pastoral support.
- Identify the particular role of clergy after a suicide.
- Prepare a church response to a suicide death.
- Have greater confidence, knowledge and awareness of the most appropriate approaches to conducting a funeral of a person who has died by suicide.
Duration: 2-hour session
- Welcome and Introductions
- Discussion: Sharing and discussion on theological understandings and approaches to suicide, mental health and pastoral support in different churches.
- What is the particular role of clergy after a suicide? – Building a list and discussion
- Presentation and Discussion: Conducting a Funeral(Guidelines Section 5)
- Planning: Preparing a Church Response to a Suicide Death